James Allwright writes:
| On Fri 26 Jan 2001 at 01:15AM +0100, Jack Campin wrote:
| >
| > Me too.  This !...! syntax is a disaster waiting to happen because of its
| > incompatibility with abc2win and needs to be stepped on before it spreads.
|
| Didn't we say that about abc2win's ! syntax ? Anyhow, it is too late, my
| parser already recognizes !...! for !p! !pp! !fff! in abc2midi and !coda!
| and !segno! in yaps.

And both my and John Atchley's clones of abc2ps recognize !...!, with
the  usual  qualifications  that  YMMV.   But  they don't give syntax
errors, and the fallback implementation is to  just  write  the  text
above or below the staff when the symbol isn't recognized.

I haven't actually tested against one of the funny abc2win tunes with
the ! in the middle of the line. Maybe I should grab a few off one of
the mailing lists and add them to my test suite, and  see  if  I  can
write some good heuristic code to recover gracefully.

[Brief pause to see if it's feasible ... Yup; Isolated bangs inside a
line are now simply ignored.  But this won't work if there are two of
them. ;-]