John Chambers wrote:

> One minor quibble, which deals with a marginal issue that I'd like to
> mention:   I think the "without implying a root" isn't the main thing
> here; it would be better to say "without stating a mode".

I stand corrected.

> So my "marginal" point:  The current standard says that if no mode is
> given, major is assumed.  It has been suggested that in my extended
> syntax, the same default should apply. I think this is a bad idea. In
> my  implementation  in abc2ps, what I did was to say that if only the
> assumed.  This is a subtle point, but I think it has significance.
>
> To see why, consider a musician trying to transcribe a tune in what a
> middle-eastern  musician  would  call "E hejaz" or a klezmer musician
> would call "E freygish".  I'd write this as
>    K:E^G
> That is, the tonic is E and the signature  consists  solely  of  a  G
> sharp.  (It could obviously be K:^g if you prefer.)

The problem is the "global accidentals" of abc. Global accidentals is a
good idea, but it is misinterpreted by a number of applications and
certainly messes up the syntax if we want to introduce non-standard key
signatures. I'm sure we can find a way round that though.
As for the misinterpretation part, I suggest the devolpers of the
applications in question update their software to confirm to the present
abc standard. To avoid a potential sidetrack, here's a quote from the
abc 1.6. standard:

 Finally, global accidentals can also be  set  in  this  field  so
 that,  for  example,  K:D =c would write the key signature as two
 sharps (key of D) but then mark every  c  as  natural...

So, the standard clearly states that global accidentals is *not* a part
of the key signature.

Frank Nordberg