Wil wrote:

>But is there a compelling reason why we should not define
>"E hejaz" or "E freygish"?  (in a similar manner to the definition
>proposed for chords)

We certainly could do that, or better, provide a means for users to define
their own named modes.  However, there will be some problems with the
wierder ones.  Some scales extend over more than one octave, so you
would not only have to supply the tonic but also specify which octave
it's in.  Some scales use different accidentals going up and coming
down, so you can't just write one key signature.

Phil Taylor