Bryan Creer writes:

>Well, it didn't take much figuring since that is what I stated explicitly but
>it is the public aspect of abc that I was referring to.  I'm not sure why you
>consider this mislistthropic.

        I don't at all---I was just referring to your statement that:

> There was no intention of sarcasm
>but perhaps my dealings with this list have left me a little bitter and
>twisted.
>

>   ...What I don't want is to be told "You can't use
>character such-and-such in your new abc extension, even though it would  be of
>enormous benefit to all users, because I'm already using it to indicate
>forked F on the oboe."  (It's a slightly different pitch so it is
musically
>relevant.)

        This brings up a problem I've noticed in some of the abc2ps
clones, tho it's probably more general: some of the characters H--Z are
permanently bound to notation---J to a slide, H to a fermata, S to a
segno, P to a pralltriller... (The first three don't bother me, since I
use the same characters for the same things, but the fourth does, since I
don't.) According to the standard, these characters are supposed to be
free, but they are rapidly being taken up.  I have no real quarrel with
this---I use most of the characters the same way myself, and I'm glad for
the extra notation---*as long as there is a way to turn it off*. (!)  Or
even better, to redefine the binding.  It could be an entry in the fmt
file, for instance.  In other applications, it could be in preferences.
Or...it could even be a formal part of abc...

Cheers,
John Walsh