>Bryan Creer :
>>I've gone for highest note prevails in the counting of the times
>so you
>>can do things like -
>>
>>X:1
>>T:The Cotillion
>>C:Trad (Bosham Band)
>>M:4/4
>>L:1/8
>>K:G
>>[G4D4][d4B,4]|[B2D4]AB [G2B,4]AB|[c2E4]B2[A2D4]G2|[FD4]GAF
>[D3A,3]D|

The trouble with this is that there are an awful lot of difficult
cases to deal with.  BarFly handles chords with notes of unequal
length by padding out the shorter notes with rests when playing,
so it's "longest note prevails".  The chord gets drawn on a single
stem though, so if you have an eighth and a sixteenth in the same
chord the result looks like two sixteenths, as they're both drawn
on a stem with two tails. The way to deal with this, I suppose, is
to draw two separate notes with tails in opposite directions, but
then what do you do if there is more than two notes in the chord?

I can see both advantages and disadvantages in doing it other ways,
but no clear best solution.  On the whole, I'd prefer it if people
either used as many voices as necessary to represent the music,
or used ties, i.e. [B2D2-]D2 instead of [B2D4].  Using unequal
notes in chords just leads to too many ambiguities.

Phil Taylor