Starling (?) wrote -

>It might be better to have the duration of the chord
>equal to the shortest duration within the chord.  That way
>[L:1/4][A4G2E2] is implicitly equal to a half note, just as in
>keyboard music the shortest note in the chord is considered the length
>before the next note begins.

Whoops!  Back to the dawing board.

I think the assumption in the earlier part of this discussion was that melody
note length = chord length so under the "first-listed note" rule, this was
both the melody note and defined the chord length.  Basic rule of data design
- don't pack two bits of information into one bit of data.  One of them has
to go.  Since there is already a lot of abc out there that won't be obeying
any of these rules, (eg abc2win's ascending order) I don't think "first
listed note = melody note" can be relied on so I'd go for "first listed note
= chord length".  The above example could be written [L:1/4][G2A4E2].

I think it needs to be recognised that the [...] construct isn't going to
cover all possibilities.  Anything more complex will need separate voices,
possibly combined on one staff.

Bryan Creer