Bryan Creer wrote:
| Starling (?) wrote -
|
| >It might be better to have the duration of the chord
| >equal to the shortest duration within the chord.  That way
| >[L:1/4][A4G2E2] is implicitly equal to a half note, just as in
| >keyboard music the shortest note in the chord is considered the length
| >before the next note begins.
|
| Whoops!  Back to the dawing board.

There is a lot of abc  that  would  give  strange  results  from  the
shortest-note  rule.   Recently  someone  pointed out that some of my
files have notation like [A3G] with no length for  the  second  note.
There's a reason for this.

The reason is that, a few years ago, when I was first learning to use
abc, I came across description of this notation but few examples.  So
I did the obvious thing, I experimented.  The only tool I had at  the
time  that  ran  on  a  unix-type  system was abc2ps, so I used that.
Simple experiments showed that, while a length after the second  note
was  accepted,  it  had no effect whatsoever.  Only the length of the
first note was used.  I was a bit disappointed,  since  I  was  quite
familiar  with  staff  notation  that  put  different note heads on a
single stem.  But the tests showed that "abc couldn't do  this",  and
the  length  of  the first note was always applied to the rest of the
notes.  So, of course, I used that syntax.

Some time later I stumbled across discussions of the  topic,  and  it
became clear that abc's actual syntax was that chord notes could have
different lengths, although some programs might not honor  them.   So
I've  been  trying since then to dutifully put correct lengths on all
of them, with the expectation that eventually all abc tools would  do
the Right Thing. I've also corrected some of my earlier efforts. But,
of course, this is easy to overlook, and I'm  not  at  all  surprised
that I still have tunes that use only the one length.

It's a fact of life that users will learn how things work  by  trying
them out.  The documentation is often sketchy and ambiguous, and many
users don't even know how to find it.  And few people will start  off
by collecting all software for all machines. I don't have the time or
money for this, and I doubt there are many other musicians who do.

As an illustration of the difficulty a novice may  have  finding  abc
documentation,  I  just  went to the abc "home page" and did a search
for the strings "doc" and "manual".  Neither string  exists  in  that
rather large page.  This is perhaps a silly example, but it does show
why users might try experimentation over looking for documentation.

Given the fact that at least one major and early abc program uses the
"first note" rule for chord lengths, we might be semi-stuck with that
for at least a few years.  Violating it will give unintended  results
for a good amount of the abc that already exists.  The most practical
approach might be to document the problem, recommend that people  put
lengths  on  all notes in a chord, and state that the official length
is not well defined.