On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Christian M. Cepel wrote:

> Are shapenotes Renaissance?  I thought they went back to plainchant
> notation.  (this is probably why I only barely passed Music history last
> sem and prolly won't this sem)

AFAIK, plain chant used several types of neumes, i.e. the square neumes on
a four-line staff still used for Gregorian chant. I came across many
examples of Renaissance sheet music written with shapenotes. I'm not an
expert, but I'm pretty sure that music was written that way.

Ciao,
     Guido =8-)

--
Guido Gonzato, Ph.D. <guido . gonzato at univr . it> - Linux System Manager
Universita' di Verona (Italy), Facolta' di Scienze MM. FF. NN.