Christian M. Cepel wrote:

>Are shapenotes Renaissance?  I thought they went back to plainchant
>notation.  (this is probably why I only barely passed Music history last
>sem and prolly won't this sem)

Well, square- and diamond-shaped notes are certainly used in Gregorian
notation, but this notation also groups notes together into neumes,
so it's a little more complicated than just setting the note shapes.
(It can be done automatically though, as BarFly does.)

Shape notes have probably been used in many systems throughout history,
the best-known being that used in the Sacred Harp, where the shape
used for the note head indicates its scale position, making it easier
for semi-literate singers to sight-read.  Again, this could be done
automatically as a program option, which would not require any change
to the abc.

MusicXML lets you specify note shapes on an individual basis, which
would not be a good idea in abc as it would make the abc unreadable.

Phil Taylor