>Bryan Creer writes:
>| and from ABC Music Notation: History written by a certain John Chambers -
>| There is no mention that I can find of when the !...! notation was introduced
>| or when standard 1.7.6 was released as a draft but it looks as if abc2win has
>| a prior claim on "!".  I don't see how Jim Vint can be accused of "gratuitous
>| violations" of a standard that didn't even exist.
>
>Anyone have dates for these?

A scan through my abc users mailbox indicates that the 1.7 standard
was first discussed on this list in April 2000, and this included
discussion of the !...! notation.  I don't know when this was first
implemented in a program though.

>BTW, a year or so back, I had my tune finder's search bot  count  the
>tunes  that  seemed  to come from abc2win (because of the ! chars, or
>because they had a "% ... abc2win" comment). It came to between 9 and
>10%  of the tunes.  It probably is the numeric leader (since the true
>leader is "tunes created using any of a zillion text  editors"),  but
>it's not anywhere approaching a majority.  It would take less work to
>convert the abc2win tunes to the standard.  The best way would be  to
>produce  a new abc2win that does the conversion automatically.  If it
>has some useful new features (inline key changes, clefs, voices),  it
>could  be  widely  adopted, and the non-conforming tunes would slowly
>fade away.  Anyone want the job?
>
>Maybe I should revive that code and do another count ...

If you can figure out a way to do it, count the number of tunes which
use the !...! construct too.  I think you will find that those account
for less than 1% of the total.

Phil Taylor