In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes
>Bernard Hill wrote on 29 Jul 2003
>

>> I did not say "beginning of a piece" I said "beginning of a section". It
>> has always been standard notation to assume the first repeat is from the
>> beginning of the work. We are talking about
>>
>> .... | ..... | .... | .... :|
>> .... | ..... | .... | .... :|
>>
>> which is ambiguous. And should maybe be
>>
>> .... | ..... | .... | .... :|
>> |:.. | ..... | .... | .... :|
>>

>In British traditional music as notated for at least the past half century, this
>form is not
>ambiguous but rather normal notation for 4 bars repeated followed by 4 bars
>repeated. I can see that this has limitations, but it presents a simple, elegant
>and
>traditional notation, and I am loathe to move away from this as it would make
>old
>manuscripts and publications less comprehensible. I know that other cultures
>have
>different conventions in this area, and I think that both forms should be
>admissable.
>
>Music notation is based on convention, and happily there is no absolute way of
>notating music, thus allowing development of interpretation.

Very true. However your notation must be unambiguous or contain a
footnote to say what is going on. Give the above to a pianist to vamp
and he will stop at the end with a puzzled look.

And all for want of a simple |: ? Is it worth adding to confusion?

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland