Bernard Hill writes:
| My suggestion is that accidentals are in lower case, keys in upper.  And
| if the key name is missing then C is assumed.
|
| K:A ^b is F# C# G# and Bb.
| K:A =c is F# and G#
| K:_b^f is Bb and F#
|
| K:_b is Bb
| K:C _b
| K:F
|
| and the last 3 are equivalent of course.

No, the accidentals should be case sensitive.  I might not care about
this, personally, but I've seen the explanations.  When the topic has
come up in the past, several people have pointed out that  there  are
musical  styles  that  use different accidentals in two octaves.  The
examples I've seen are from southern Asia.

I've seen this done in Middle-Eastern music too, with scales like:

K:D=C_E_B^c

where the C is different in the two octaves.

We really shouldn't exclude these musical styles when it's so easy to
include  them.   We've had inquiries on the list from people who play
Persian and Indian classical music.  It would be interesting  to  see
how well it works for them.

If Jack Campin weren't on vacation, we'd probably hear from him now.