My program will be backwards compatible. If you've aligned your words on
notes that is fine. Using my app you can align on notes/rests/barlines
as the spec dictates.

How will it be backward-compatible?

It will be backwards compatible because you align where the spec says they should align. A standard ABC file written to abc 1.7.6 aligns against notes. No different to ABC2.0 unless the person writing the ABC files explicitly goes to align against rests.

However see below, as I think I unwittingly caused more confusion that I intended (not hard, I didn't intend any :-)

These are two different and totally
incompatible sets of behaviour.

Not so, you misunderstand me (you "default" statement is not what I intend).

I don't know what abc2.0 draft you are reading but it doesn't say
anything about "note groups" under section 5, Lyrics:

You are correct. Part of my confusion comes from the section about Symbols (which can align on notes/rests/note groups etc, then the section on s: which says follow the same as w: and I had then interpreted that that also meant s: would support the same alignment options as for explicit symbols, and by inference that w: did the same. I was wrong (or at least I think I am wrong).

You are suggesting that by default lyrics should align with bar lines
and rests, so your program should display it like this:

No I wasn't, I was saying you could align against any of notes/rests/etc. I don't know how you could make the assumption that the default is rests. I was assuming that it was specifiable down to the word. I was wrong. Its a moot point as I've already decided an earlier part of my understanding was wrong.

Despite the fact I've concluded my understanding was incorrect, what about the individuals that have posted stating they have files with alignment on rests? Should the spec cater for them? I think so. Which raises the question, how will that be done?

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk