In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephen Kellett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
C++ Surely? C is very restrictive in comparison. Writing object based code in C is hard work (read: un-necessary extra code, and lack of type safety) compared to C++.

Java and C# are not worthwhile alternatives. Both quite restrictive because nothing is truly passed as a reference (try modifying a string object you pass in and see if it really was changed after the method call - if it was really passed as a reference it would be). Makes things trivial in C and C++ a real pain in Java and C#.

Stephen

In my opinion any parser should produce ascii code and be self-contained, written as a command-line procedure using stdin and stdout

abcparse <inputfilename >outputfilename

The structure of the outputfile would probably obey some sort of XML language (although I hate it).

--
Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software