On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, at 06:09 am, Stephen Kellett wrote:

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeff Szuhay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
On Sunday, April 25, 2004, at 03:47 pm, Stephen Kellett wrote:
If you needed to change an API, you'd create an Ex() version of it, ala Microsoft

Yuk. Please do not fall prey to the habits of an 800-lb gorilla. Microsoft's bad
design habits should not be relied upon as any sort of "standard practice."

I disagree. Changing the parameters and/or return values of an existing API breaks that API for all users. Don't read Microsoft and assume all is bad. Their solution isn't wonderful but at least does ensure backward compatibility.

No, I didn't say to overload the existing API. I just thing the whole ...Ex() thing is a
cop out of lazy design. What happens when you then need a new extension to the
extension ..Ex2() or ...ExEx(). Again, yuk.

And, yes, I would use a different name for a different or revised functionality.
see the history of file opening
_open
open
fopen
FileOpen
OpenFile
StandardFileOpen

and not a single OpenEx in the lot.

-- The penalty that good men pay for not being interested in politics is to be governed by men worse than themselves. -- Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)