Guy Gascoigne - Piggford writes:
| I hate to tell you this, but lots of users switch off javascript. Unlike
| ActiveX and Java the code that can get executed on the client machine
| can't be signed and so it much harder to authenticate.
|
| It stops sites grabbing registry information on the fly (say my email
| address), as well as making sure that unexpected code doesn't get
| executed on my machine.
|
| As it happens I tend to leave javascript enabled, but there are quite a
| few people who switch it off (even ones in the UK).

Yup.  I normally leave JS turned off, unless I want to look at a site
that  uses it and I don't expect them to abuse it.  Some time back, I
worked up a little demo of one reason you might want to do this:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/demo/ImgPreload.html

| Dafydd Monks wrote:
|
| >I've never heard anything about turning scripting off? Is everyone insane?
| >No one in the UK has scripting off.

Not necessarily insane; just ignorant of the dangers.  There's a  bit
of a fuss right now over IE, which is the worst case. It seems the US
Dept.  of Homeland Security has noticed the problems and published  a
report  advising  not  only turning off all scripting tools, but also
switching to a browser other than IE.  In the last day or  so,  there
has been a huge spike of downloads over at mozilla.org.

For those with Macs, the IE warnings don't apply.  Macs have a  thing
called  "Internet  Explorer", but it was reimplemented by Apple using
the Microsoft specs. It supposedly shares little if any code with the
MS program, and doesn't have the egregious security holes.

Still, JavaScript is what it is.  If my little demo worries you,  you
should  turn  it  off.   This  is  an  example of something that is a
feature, not a bug, and won't be "fixed".

Also, if any of the browser windows on your screen have ads that  are
changing,  chances  are  that  they  use  JS or ActiveX or some other
scripting tools.  This means that they soak up  cpu  time  even  when
they're idle.  If your machine seems bogged down, this may be part of
the explanation.  You can get back a lot of your cpu by  turning  off
everything  like  this  that produces changing images.  Many browsers
also have a control that turns off changing GIF and JPEG  files,  and
this  also  saves a lot of cpu time.  I usually change the setting to
"run images once".