On 23 Oct 2004, at 11:22, Remo D. wrote:

Most of the examples I've examined (thanks again folks!) use a single uppercase letter for denoting each part. P:A in a tune means "this is the part 'A'" and "P:ABACAB" at the beginning means, if I understood it correctly, "play part A, then B, then C ...".

This is what the standards suggest but in one of the Barfly examples, parts are denoted with a more complex syntax: "P:Coda" for example.

I'd like to support it but what should be the exact syntax?

My proposal is the following:

"Each part name MUST begin with a upper case letter and may continue ONLY with lowercase letters and numbers"

P:AB            -> "play part A then B"
P:OvertureCoda  -> "play part Overture then part Coda"
P:OVERTURE CODA -> "play part O then V, then E, ..."
P:intro         -> ERROR

Spaces and dots may separate part names.

How Barfly behaves? Any other suggestion?

BarFly treats parts labelled with single capital letters as specified in the (1.6) standard i.e. it labels each part with the letter, and if there is a P: field in the header it plays the parts in the specified order. P: fields which contain anything else (e.g P: Coda) are treated just as text labels, they appear in the staff notation but have no effect on playing.

Phil Taylor