Neil Jennings wrote:

I still think my suggestion is more general, as it allows the internal part name (one letter) to be totally independent of the displayed text (Part description).

Remo's proposal would only allow one word (part name) to start with each letter. Therefore if there was a part Coda, there could not be any other part whose name started with C. (Using letters within a word would get confusing)

Well, that's not what I meant. You can have "Coda" "Chorus" and "Chaos", then you would define in the header

P: (Chaos Chorus)2 Coda3

and in the body:

P:Chorus
P:Chaos
P:Coda

With my proposal you only miss the ability of having a piece named "CHAOS" (each part name MUST begin with a upper case letter and may continue ONLY with lowercase letters and numbers) but there's no limit in the number of parts that begin with a given letter.

It seems to me that if you can give meaningful names to your parts, you gain in clarity : "P: (Chaos, Chorus)2 Coda3" gives the feeling of two universal forces (the order being represented by a chorus) that compete each other until the unifying End. Writing "P:(AB)2C3" does not gives the same feelings to me! But I digress :) .

Anyway, I'll implement also your proposal in my parser. If in the body a "P: partname; label" field is found, the "label" will be considered for printing too.

Any other suggestion?

Bye,
                           R.D