-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Laura E. Hunter
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 7:54 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] salary(OT)

joe is too kind...he's glossing over the bit where he kept saying "If that
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Laura makes -one- -more- [EMAIL PROTECTED] grammar fix...".
:-)

(And joe, if you do Theory of Computation, you may become my best friend
during my next grad class.  I fully expect to hire a tutor and just have the
person move into my house for 16 weeks.  :o))

On 10/14/05, joe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey I needed to maintain a certain quality....
>
> Did you send something to Robbie to say you wanted to review it? In
> the end we were begging for reviewers, I even took Dean as a reviewer
> and you know the edge I had to be on for that.... He kept wanting to spell
words wrong.
> Eventually I just took out all references to the words color, humor,
> and other or words.

ended up being a 200% increase.

> > Anyway, you tend to take a considerable hit (I have seen reductions
> > of
>
> > 20%-75% for FTE offers and all but one of which I turned down cold)
> > but you try to make it up in benefits such as vaca, retirement,
> > insurance, etc. As a contractor you tend to have a different mindset
> > than as an FTE as well. As a contractor it is jump for the money and
> > your mind should always be ready to make that jump. As FTE it seems
> > people get in a rut and don't want to move once they start to get a
> > feeling of ownership. Personally I wouldn't be an FTE but for a very
> > small handful of companies where I really like and respect the
> > management. My manager I have now is probably one of the best
> > managers
>
> > in the universe, he is certainly the best I have had to this point
> > in my "career" and I have had several good managers. He is the kind
> > of guy that you love or hate, if you aren't above the curve, you
> > hate him. But then I have often been described as the person you
> > love or hate myself. I had one manager once say of me, "joe is the
> > Bill Lambeer of IT, if he is on y
> our team you feel great and you love him. If he isn't, you want to
> kill him.". Another said "joe is worth his weight in gold and he ain't
> a small guy...". After I heard that one I went and asked for a raise.
> Somehow I failed.
> >
> > Every time I have negotiated with someone on any job I always just
> > ask
>
> > up
> front, so what salary or rate are you thinking. If the range is some
> ridiculous range like $50k-$300k which headhunters like to do because
> they think they are bright or something I tell the person they need to
> give a more realistic range of somewhere within $10k and it better not
> be pumped up with possible bonuses (Bonuses are not salary). If they
> can't or won't, spend your time elsewhere.
> >

> > Keep in mind, whatever rate you ask for, make sure it covers sending
> > gifts
> of beer and chocolate and possibly money to the members of this list
> for keeping your head above water. I don't think any single person has
> generated such a volume in the number of questions asked since I have
> been watching this list. It actually made me wonder at one point if
> Tony could somehow arrange it so that people pay for every question
> asked and they get credit for every answer given that people vote on
> and say is a good answer. If no one can answer the question (note that
> isn't the same as the answer doesn't work for someone for whatever
localized reason) then full refund.

--
Laura E. Hunter