On 5/14/20 7:24 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Kyle Willett <kyle.d.will...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think OpenBSD advocacy could do more too.  I read on an open source
>> news site that Lenovo is going to start offering a Fedora Linux option
>> on their Thinkpad lineup and already certifies some for Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux.  I think it would be great if we could get some
>
> Who is "we"?
>
>> hardware manufacturer to certify OpenBSD on a device and offer it
>> pre-installed as an OS choice.  I think that would be a good thing for
>> the project.  Maybe an AMD64 x86_64 laptop is too much at first and
>> maybe we should start with one of the arm or mips laptops supported
>
> Who is "we"?
>
>> well by OpenBSD.  I don't know just a dream I have.
>
> Why go around telling people your dreams?  Why not do all this yourself?
> You don't need a mailing list for it.  Is it your dream that others in the
> group "we" will do what you dream?
>
> What you are doing here is advocating that other people do that which
> you don't and won't do yourself.  To be honest, it comes off small minded.

There are many possible assumptions of what they could have meant, I don't
think there is a need to be overly harsh to their attitude. For all I know
they might be an enthusiastic college student who wants to help.
Voicing your ideas and finding like minded people is a good motivator for
doing a project.

@Kyle, I do appreciate your enthusiasm.
That said, I do agree that going straight to hardware is far from what is
possible as a short term goal.

I think it is better by starting to do small things,

I've already asked the newsletters to hopefully include the recent news about
wireguard patches (even though it is not confirmed to be included yet, please
don't kill me over this) and hopefully I get a positive response :) .

I know this is not a lot but I am hoping slowly things can turn
up for the better.

As always, am open any other ideas you might have.

(I tried to be terse, I think I failed)

Cheers and stay safe,
Aisha