Storing a fully charged lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery has a
minimal impact on its lifespan. In fact, it's recommended to fully charge
LiFePO4 batteries before storing them for long periods of time. These
batteries have a low self-discharge rate, typically losing 2% of their
charge per month. However, fully charged lithium-ion batteries can be
dangerous if left unused for long periods of time.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 12:43 PM Forrest Christian (List Account) <
li...@packetflux.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2024, 1:02 PM Ken Hohhof <khoh...@kwom.com> wrote:
>
>> And I'm still using AGM batteries while all the cool kids are using
>> LiFePO4 with BCMs, so definitely don't listen to me.
>>

> The more I learn about lithium batteries, the more I feel that lithium has
> relatively few advantages for standby applications.
>
> My most recent knowledge acquisition is the fact that if you want to
> shorten the life of a lithium battery the best way to do so is to keep it
> fully charged.   The higher the average state of charge,  the shorter the
> life of the battery, although admitted there isn't much change in lifetime
> between about 20% and 80%.   But keeping them at 100% isn't great.
>
> If you want to store a lithium battery without charging,  it's best to
> drop the charge below 80% then store.
>
> In a standby application you really want to keep a battery at 100% which
> shortens it's life greatly.   A better choice would be to keep it at 80%
> max but then you have other issues, not to mention the fact you now have to
> buy a bigger battery array.

Thank you,

TJ Trout
Volt Broadband