On 1/6/07, Philip Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The problem wasn't technological.  It was that nobody had any use for
a robot.  We never figured out what people would want the robot for.
I think that's still the problem.

Well, I for one want a job assistant who can fetch things - what apprentices
or surgical nurse-assistanty things are often called to do.

"Assistant: Please get me a Phillips head screwdriver and half-a-dozen 10mm
screws"

A robot that could

1) Voice recognise instructions
2) Understand simple commands like "Get me X", "Hold this still", "Return
this"...
3) Manoeuvre from your work space to your tool-store
4) Grab items from an appropriately set-up tool-store
etc

Would be pretty damn useful, and I see most of this as being feasible with
current day tech.  Sure, such an assistant would be pretty damn expensive,
and less useful than a high-school-dropout apprentice/assistant (who can
also run down the street and get you a sandwich), but this is a real,
possible application for a robot.

-- Olie