  From: Benjamin Goertzel
  To: agi@v2.listbox.com
  Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:46 PM
  Subject: Re: [agi] The Advantages of a Conscious Mind

    If there's any confusion, think about many women and dieting. They will be
    confronted by much the same decisions about whether to eat or not to eat on
    possibly thousands of occasions throughout their lives. And over and over,
    throughout their entire lives,  they will - freely - decide now this way,
    now that. Yo-yoing on and off their diets. Your system, as I understand it,
    would never do that - would never act in such crazy, mixed up, contradictory
    ways. Humans do, because they are, truly,  free - and, I contend,
    non-deterministically programmed - and, repeat, this is, paradoxically, good
    design..

  Mike, I don't want to be insulting, but you seem incredibly confused about
some
  basic concepts.

  Either that or you are redefining basic words in such odd ways that
communicating
  with you usefully is next to impossible!

  There is no reason at all why a deterministic system couldn't yo-yo on and
off
  a diet.  I don't understand why you would think so.

  There is nothing stopping deterministic systems from being confused, idiotic,
  self-contradictory, etc.  Really.  Not unless you are adopting a very very
strange
  and nonstandard definition of "deterministic."

  I think I am going to stop responding to your messages, personally, because we
  simply are not communicating in a useful way.

  -- Ben G

10:34