Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Pei,

I don't think there's any confusion here. Your system as you describe it IS
deterministic. Whether an observer might be confused by it is irrelevant.
Equally the fact that it is determined by a complex set of algorithms applying
to various tasks and domains and not by one task-specific algorithm, is also
irrelevant. It's still deterministic.

The point, presumably, is that your system has a clear set of priorities in
deciding between different goals, tasks, axioms and algorithms

Humans don't. Humans are still trying to work out what they really want, and
what their priorities are between, for example, the different activities of
their life, between work, sex, friendship, love, family etc. etc. Humans are
designed to be in conflict about their fundamental goals throughout their
lives. And that, I would contend, is GOOD design, and essential for their
success and survival.

Slightly contridictory here though, for Pei's systems you say: Whether an
observer might be confused by it is irrelevant.  But this can apply equally to
humans, just becaused you are confused by the behavior, doesnt mean it has no
basis in reason.

Pei's system may not have a "clear" set of goals, they may be dirty and
contridictory, and have to work out what is best at any point in time, which
may change, just as a humans would.

If there's any confusion, think about many women and dieting. They will be
confronted by much the same decisions about whether to eat or not to eat on
possibly thousands of occasions throughout their lives. And over and over,
throughout their entire lives,  they will - freely - decide now this way, now
that. Yo-yoing on and off their diets. Your system, as I understand it, would
never do that - would never act in such crazy, mixed up, contradictory ways.
Humans do, because they are, truly,  free - and, I contend,
non-deterministically programmed - and, repeat, this is, paradoxically, good
design..

Sure, this still follows reason.  Follow the woman around, at first she is
upset about her weight because she cant get into a dress size, then later she
is tempted at a restaurant with a choco delight.  There is a reason for all of
that, even if it is a complicated way of getting at it, and may be
contridictory, and may not be the "best" way to go towards a goal.
  You have to give a better definition of "non-determinism" and everything
before you just say people are that, and are "free"
  Being free doesnt mean they dont act for a reason, even if the reasons are
faulty.  Much control of humans may be determined by the environment, and inner
emailtional state, as well as physical needs.

What behaviour or effect of a human is totally non-deterministic?
Even when looking at a fork in the road and choosing one path, a human could
take subtle clues such as lighting, or direction or wideness of the path
without being directly aware of it.... but there is still the reason there.

I think that non-deterministic behaviour as I have seen defined several ways
can not be predicted in any way, so would in a sense have to be totally
random... people are not good with random things.
  A computer on the other hand, is good with psuedo-random numbers, and can
EASILY be said to be non-deterministic at that level.  Easy case:
  Give this book to someone in the room.
  AI:  pick random person and gives it to them.
Can you predict that he was goign to give it to you?  Nope.

James Ratcliff