  From: James Ratcliff
  To: agi@v2.listbox.com
  Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 5:57 PM
  Subject: Re: [agi] The Advantages of a Conscious Mind

  More simply even that that, Pei, when it comes across a task and a choice of
options, if it sees no benefit > 5% (arbitrary setting or 0%)  does your system
choose randomly between between the choices?

  Doesnt this make the system non-deterministic...

  Otherwise agree with your description.

  James Ratcliff

  Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Mike,

    I believe many of the confusions on this topic is caused by the
    following "self-evident" belief: "A system is fundamentally either
    deterministic or non-deterministic. The human mind, with free will, is
    fundamentally non-deterministic; a conventional computer, being Turing
    Machine, is fundamentally deterministic". Based on such a belief, many
    people think AGI can only be realized by something that is
    "non-deterministic by nature", whatever that means.

    This belief, though works fine in some other context, is an
    oversimplification in the AI/CogSci context. Here, as I said before,
    whether a system is deterministic may not be taken as an intrinsic
    nature of the system, but as depending on the description about it.

    For example, NARS is indeed "nondeterministic" in the usual sense,
    that is, after the system has obtained a complicated experience, it
    will be practically impossible for either an observer or the system
    itself to accurately predict how the system will handle a
    user-provided task. On the other level of description, NARS is still a
    deterministic Turing Machine, in the sense that its state change is
    fully determined by its initial state and its experience, step by
    step.

    Now the important point is: when we say that the mind is
    "nondeterministic", in what sense are we using the term? I believe it
    is like "it will be practically impossible for either an observer or
    the mind itself to accurately predict how the system will handle a
    problem", rather than ""it will be theoretically impossible for an
    observer to accurately predict how the system will handle a problem,
    even if the observer has full information about the system's initial
    state, processing mechanism, and detailed experience, as well as has
    unlimited information processing power". Therefore, for all practical
    considerations, including the ones you mentioned, NARS is
    nondeterministic, since it doesn't process input tasks according to a
    task-specific algorithm.

    [If the above description still sounds confusing or contradictionary,
    you'll have to read my relevant publications. I don't have the
    intelligence to explain everything by email.]

    Pei

    On 5/6/07, Mike Tintner wrote:
    > Pei,
    >
    > Thanks for stating your position (which I simply didn't know about before
-
    > NARS just looked at a glance as if it MIGHT be nondeterministic).
    >
    > Basically, and very briefly, my position is that any AGI that is to deal
    > with problematic decisions, where there is no right answer, will have to
be
    > freely, nondeterministically programmed to proceed on a trial and error
    > basis - and that is just how human beings are programmed.
    > (Nondeterministically programmed should not be simply equated with current
    > kinds of programming - there are an infinity of possible ways of
programming
    > deterministically, ditto for nondeterministically).

    http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;

  James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com
  Looking for something...

14:55