On Friday 11 May 2007 02:01:09 pm Mike Tintner wrote:
> As Daniel Wolpert will tell you, the sea squirt devours its brain as soon as
> it stops moving.

As Dan Dennet has pointed out, this resembles what happens when one gets
tenure...

> In the final and the first analysis, the brain is a device
> for controlling movement:

Only half, even in a hunter/gatherer context. The other half is participation
in the social process, which in its essence is pure communication.
Manipulation of the physical world remains important but has declined
relative to communication significantly in the modern world.

> (And, thinking aloud as I write, ALL senses are moving senses. Animals,
> including the simplest one-celled organisms, move their sensors around to
> perceive the world. Touch too, of course  - you have to move your body to
> get a hold of things ).

Ultimately I'm thinking in terms of a Cog-like torso with hands -- but that's
many years off.

> P.P.S. Can't resist this - set your robot free::
>  I'm Free
> [TOMMY]

Nice. Maybe someday...

Josh