On 11/05/07, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tommy, the scientific experiment and engineering project, is almost
all about concept formation. He gets a voluminous input stream but is
required to parse it into coherent concepts (e.g. objects, positions,
velocities, etc). None of these concepts is he given originally. Tommy
1.0 will simply watch the world and try to imagine what happens next.

Interesting. This is somewhat similar to one of the projects that I am
interested in. Assuming sufficient or the correct hardware, I'm
interested in body mounted robotics for Intelligence Augmentation,
using what people would think of as AI.

An example of the robot if not the software
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/ActiveVision/Projects/Wear/wear.03/index.html

I would start off with that annotating its visual streams to be passed
to head mounted display on the user. Things like tracking objects the
user has pointed at, so the user could see things not directly in
front of him, or high-lighting important objects to the user, would be
some of the things it would be initially taught. I would also give it
a controlled, low power laser pointer so it could visually mark things
for other people apart from its user.

I think this sort of system is a worthy one to study, as it allows the
user and the robot to inhabit the same world (so concepts developed by
the computer should not be too alien to the user, and thus languages
may be shared between them), it also allows for long periods of time
for the researcher to be present with the computer if such time scales
as a babies development are required for the teaching of human level
intelligence. It also tries to minimise the amount of
processing/robotics required to share the similar world, meaning more
projects could possibly be attempted at once.

While user and computer do share the same world in your experimental
setup, there may be some concepts that would be hard for it to learn
such as translation of its PoV. Whether that would be a fatal flaw in
its developed mental model of the world (and limit its ability to
communicate with as hardware and its capabilities developed), I'm not
sure. More experimentation and better theories required, as ever.

 Will Pearson