YKY wrote:

> The problem is that I still want to get rich, and to make
> XYZ a non-profit would be dishonest and may result in some
> awkward contradictions later.  (Unless my personality
> changes... which is also possible).

You might get rich by writing a general software engine to make this
consortium idea work -- and it will take software, some very complex and
secure software to track and value the contributions of lots of people.
If you can't design the software to support this idea, then the idea is
not concrete enough to work as a business arrangement anyway. So this is
a good place to start. To be really recursive, form a consortium of the
type you have in mind to write the consortium software engine itself.
You'll have a great sales presentation when its finally complete --
ConsortiumPro, written by the ConsortiumPro Consortium. Once you have
the general software, people or companies can form *any* sort of idea
consortium they like, not just for code projects. I can see something
like this having value in large R&D departments or even in
Cathedral-style proprietary coding projects as part of the way companies
compensate their best contributors. There have already been some
attempts (even by MS I think) to bring the Bazaar into the Cathedral,
but I don't know whether those worked well or not. If you really believe
in this idea, the best part of it is that you can prove the consortium
idea has merit as you create useful software to enable it.

Keith