Sorry yes you're right, I should and would not call Schank's approach
discredited (though he does have his critics). FWIW I think he got much closer
than most of the GOFAIers i.e. he's one of my old school AI heroes :) I thought
for a long time his approach was one of the quickest ways to AGI and I still
think anyone studying AGI should definitely study his approach closely. In the
end any would-be AGIst (?:) will have to decide whether she adopts conceptual
primitives or not - probably, apart from ideological arguments, mainly on the
basis of how she decides to (have her AGI) ground its/his/her concepts (or not,
as the case may be).
Personally I'd say that a lot of mental acts do not reduce to his primitives
easily (without losing a lot in the translation, to paraphrase a good movie:)
and mental acts are quite important in my AGI architecture.
Just personal opinion of course. =Jean-Paul

>>> James Ratcliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/05/07 9:19 PM >>>
I wouldnt say discredited, though he has went off to study education more
instead of AI now.
Good article on Conceptual Reasoning

http://library.thinkquest.org/18242/concept.shtml

His SAM project was very interesting with Scripts back in '75, but for a very
limited domain.

My project has the ability for a KR to contain multiple scripts describing a
similar event to allow reasoning and generalization of simple tasks.

James Ratcliff

Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >> list readers should check old
discredited approaches first

Would you really call Schank discredited or is it just that his line of
research petered out?

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;

James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com
Looking for something...