On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Pei Wang wrote:

) On 6/23/07, Bo Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
) >
) > Thanks for putting this together!  If I were to put myself into your
) > theory of AI research, I would probably be roughly included in the
) > Structure-AI and Capability-AI (better descriptions of the brain and
) > computer programs that have more capabilities).
)
) It is a reasonable position, though in the long run you may have to
) choose between the two, since they often conflict.

For example, if one can mentally simulate a computation, it has an analog
in the brain.  I just want to describe the brain in computer language,
which will require much more advanced programming languages to just get
computers to simulate things similar to what people can do mentally.

--

) > I haven't heard of a lot of these systems current Capabilities.  A lot of
) > them are pretty old--like SOAR and ACT-R.

Well, they've been trying to find Capabilities, for example, I'm no ACT-R
expert at all, but I read a paper about how they are looking for
correlations between their planner's stack-size and fMRI BOLD signal
voxels.  This would be a cool Capability in terms of Structural-AI if they
were able to pull it off.  A simple theory of planning, but slow progress
toward Structural-AI.

--

) > Are there large real-world problems that have been solved by these
) > systems?  I would find Capability links very useful if they were added.

Hmm..  It seems that even if Capability-AI isn't the primary goal of the
theory, it must be *one* of the goals.  A Human-Scale thinking system is
going to have a lot of small milestones of Capability.  If any of these
systems have reached anything similar to this, which I'm sure many of them
have because they've been around for 20-30 years.  I'm no expert on any of
these systems, but I'm just trying to find how successful each has been in
terms of Capability, which is seems much be at least a distant subgoal of
all of them.  Even if they are purely theoretical, they must be created
with the intention of creating other theories that do have Capabilities?!

Bo

) Pei
)
) > Bo