On 6/23/07, Lukasz Stafiniak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think that "hybrid" and "integrated" descriptions are useful,
especially when seeing AGI in the broader context of agent systems,
but they need to be further elaborated (I posted about
"TouringMachines" hoping to bring that up). For me, now, they seem
almost co-extensive.
As for the meaning, to me, "hybrid" means "integrated at the level of
engineering", and "integrative" means "integrated, (rather by
synthesis than dominance), at the conceptual level".

I use these two words to distinguish the "integration" in AGI projects
(e.g., Novamente ...) and the "integration" in mainstream AI, such as
the works reported in the Integrated Intelligence Special Track of
AAAI, though none of the latter type has reached the level of AGI yet.
Of course, the boundary is not absolute, but the difference is still
quite clear. According to mainstream AI people, all current AI
research may contribute to AGI (since the special-purpose tools can be
"integrated"), but according to the AGI people, even an integrated
approach should start at the big picture.

Pei