Josh: One main reason I support the development of AGI as a serious subfield is not
that I think any specific approach here is likely to work (even mine), but
that there is a willingness to experiment and a tolerance for new and
odd-sounding ideas that spells a renaissance of science in AI.

Well, there has to be a willingness to experiment by definition.But I find no general sense of the need for a major paradigm shift. It should be obvious that a successful AGI will transform and revolutionize existing computational paradigms - and involve a major new scientific theory (or theories) of mind/ mind model. My impression is everyone's clinging to existing paradigms, even though they obviously don't work for AGI as opposed to AI. By all means disabuse me and point to someone contemplating such a shift.