On 10/18/07, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd be interested in everyone's take on the following:
>
> 1. What is the single biggest technical gap between current AI and AGI? (
> e.g.
> we need a way to do X or we just need more development of Y or we have the
> ideas, just need hardware, etc)

I don't think the gap is a technical gap really, it's a conceptual gap.  An
AGI is
a fundamentally different sort of beast than a narrow AI.

What we need is to have a number of years of concentrated detailed-design
and engineering
effort by a dedicated, appropriately skilled software/computer-science team,
focused
on implementing, tuning and teaching an AGI based on a workable high-level
design.

The Novamente design is a workable high-level design for an AGI.  There may
be others.

2. Do you have an idea as to what should should be done about (1) that would
> significantly accelerate progress if it were generally adopted?
>
> 3. If (2), how long would it take the field to attain (a) a baby mind, (b)
> mature human-equivalent AI, if your idea(s) were adopted and AGI seriously
> pursued?

When we put all the pending Novamente tasks into Microsoft Project about a
year ago,
it came out to something like 6.5 years of work for a strong team of 10-15
totally focused, appropriately skilled people.  By now we have probably
shaved a few months off that due to our ongoing work.  This is for getting
to a young-child-mind, not a baby mind.  A baby mind is too hard to
validate, IMO.  The goal is to get to the level of English communication at
the level of a 4 or 5 year old child.

[for examples of conversation at this level, see the end of my post at
http://www.singinst.org/blog/2007/10/13/a-toddler-turing-test/#comment-8509]

I think it will not be more than 3-5 years between a and b.  Potentially a
bunch less than that, depending on how much resources the baby mind
attracts.

4. How long to (a) and (b) if AI research continues more or less as it is
> doing now?

3 decades, perhaps?

-- Ben