On 18/10/2007, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd be interested in everyone's take on the following:
>
> 1. What is the single biggest technical gap between current AI and AGI? (e.g.
> we need a way to do X or we just need more development of Y or we have the
> ideas, just need hardware, etc)

The biggest gap is the design of a system that can absorb information
generated by other intelligent systems the *same sort of way* humans
can. This can include anything from copying body movements,
understanding body language (pointing, smiling) and higher maths on a
blackboard. It will also require some form of ability to control how
information is absorbed to prevent malicious changes having too much
power..

> 2. Do you have an idea as to what should should be done about (1) that would
> significantly accelerate progress if it were generally adopted?

There are some problems that have to be solved first however. If you
assume that cultural information and trial and error can change most
parts of the system during human like absorption, that presents some
problems. You will need to find a system/architecture that is
goal-oriented and somewhat stable in its goal orientation under the
introduction of arbitrary programs.

So if this was created and significant numbers of people were trying
to create social robots, then things would speed up.

> 3. If (2), how long would it take the field to attain (a) a baby mind, (b) a
> mature human-equivalent AI, if your idea(s) were adopted and AGI seriously
> pursued?

It depends on whether we get a good theory of how cultural information
is transmitted, processed and incorporated into a system. Without a
good theory there will have to be lots of trial and error, and as some
trials will have to be done in a social setting, they will take a long
time.

I'm also not sure human equivalent is desired (assuming you mean a
system with a goal system devoted to its own well-being).

> 4. How long to (a) and (b) if AI research continues more or less as it is
> doing now?

Well if it continues as it is, you will continue to get some very
powerful narrow AI system (potentially passing the Turing test on
cursory examination), but not the flexibility of AGI.

Will Pearson