It seems your question stated on the meta discussion level, since that you
ask for a reason why a there are two different beliefs.

I can only answer for myself, but to me some form of evolutionary learning
is essential to AGI. Actually, I define intelligence to be "an Eco-system of
ideas that compete for survival". The fitness of such ideas are determined
through three aspects:

   - How well the ideas describe reality as perceived
   - How relevant the parts of reality they describe are, given some goal
   - How successfully the ideas could achieve the goal, according to the
   current belief of reality

The balance of these fitness aspects would determine the personality of the
AGI.

People like to say that mankind with its inventions and intelligence could
conquer evolution and make leaps evolution never could. But I would say that
intelligence and technology is just another form of evolution, built upon a
different framework. Its just an evolution of ideas inside our minds, and
instead of using DNA, they are encoded in neural patterns.

I know however some people do not feel at home with this usage of the
concept of evolution. They would like to separate adaption and learning from
evolution. True enough, adaption and learning could be set up in forms which
could not be described as evolution. But my guess is that the adaptive
system of a human level intelligence would have to have the following
features:

   - Several possible solutions to a problem, or models of some part of
   the world needs to be developed in parallel.
   - Solutions or models needs to be modular so they can be combined with
   each other in some way. At least it is easy to assume that the world has
   modular features.
   - Because of limited resources, some of these solutions or models
   needs to be discarded if they are not useful enough.

If these criteria are accepted as necessary for a human level adaptive or
learning process, I would say they seem very similar to how an evolutionary
system would be described. However, I could not answer for those who
disagree with this, and what is their line of thought, and why they argue a
human mind does not use evolutionary learning.

 /Robert Wensman