On 10/22/07, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  >> -- I think Granger's cog-sci speculations, while oversimplified and
> surely wrong in parts, contain important hints at the truth (and in my prior
> email I tried to indicate how)
> >> -- Richard OTOH, seems to consider Granger's cog-sci speculations total
> "garbage"
> >> This is a significant difference of opinion, no?
>
> As you've just stated it, yes.  However, rereading your previous e-mail, I
> still don't really see where you agree with his cog sci (as opposed to what
> I would still call neurobiology which I did see you agreeing with).

It's of course quite non-obvious where to draw the line between neuroscience
and cognitive science, in a context like this.

However, what I like in Granger paper, that seems cog-sci-ish to me, is the
idea that functionalities like

-- hierarchical clustering
-- hash coding
-- sequence completion

are provided as part of the "neurological instruction set"

The attractive cog-sci hypothesis here, as I might reformulate it, is that
higher-level cognitive procedures could palpably take these functionalities
as "primitives", sort of as if they were library functions provided by the
brain....

So, one way to summarize my view of the paper is
-- The neuroscience part of Granger's paper tells how these
library-functions may be implemented in the brain
-- The cog-sci part consists partly of
----- a) the hypothesis that these library-functions are available to
cognitive programs
----- b) some specifics about how these library-functions may be used within
cognitive programs

I find Granger's idea a) quite appealing, but his ideas in category b)
fairly uncompelling and oversimplified.

Whereas according to my understanding, Richard seems not to share my belief
in the strong potential meaningfulness of a)

All this is indirectly and conceptually relevant to Novamente because we
have to make decisions regarding which functionalities to supply as
primitives to Novamente, and which functionalities to require it to learn...

However, the cognitive theory underlying NM is totally different than, and
much more complex than, Granger's overall cognitive theory...

-- Ben G