On Monday 22 October 2007 03:35:33 pm, Russell Wallace wrote:
> On 10/22/07, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Attention -- fovea -- saccade -- serial -- chunking -- frame.
> >
> > Those higher functions have to be there anyway. Is there any evidence that
we
> > can recognize multiple primitives simultaneously?
>
> Yes. Speed-reading in particular, deliberately turns off the saccade
> mechanism by which we normally read text, and instead keeps the fovea
> near the center of the column, relying on the visual cortex to
> recognize all (or at least a large chunk) of the words in the current
> line of text, in parallel. And when we do this, we get more than mere
> activation levels associated with each word - all the syntax-parsing
> machinery etc still works.

I don't buy that there is parallel recognition going on. If one reads a lot,
one forms chunks up to the size of phrases. There is some interesting
high-level interpretation happening, cf tricks like

Paris
in the
the spring

(seen as "Paris in the spring" by most fast readers).

"Research conducted on speed reading experts who claim to be able to read at
over 1,000 words per minute with full comprehension has found that their
claims are false (Homa 1983). Even speed reading rates of between 1000-2000
word/min have been found to result in comprehension levels at around 70% or
lower. Also, when presented with two paragraphs of combined but unrelated
material, speed reading experts claimed that they understood it but were
completely unaware that it consisted of two obviously different passages
mixed together (Allyn & Bacon, 1987).
"One interesting outcome from research into speed reading is that speed
readers tend to poorly assess their own comprehension level when compared to
normal readers who are simply instructed to skim a text (Allyn & Bacon,
1987). The skimming group was found to be better at extracting the details
out of a text than speed readers. This may be explained with reference to
speed reading practices training out the ability to judge comprehension
(Allyn & Bacon, 1987) and leading the reader to adopt misconceptions about
reading (Harris and Sipay 1990).
"Professional reading rate researchers' general advice about speed reading
courses is simply not to enroll... "
(Wikipedia)