For the immediate future I think we are going to be seeing robots
which are either directly programmed to perform tasks (expert systems
on wheels) or which are taught by direct human supervision.

In the human supervision scenario the robot is "walked through" a
series of steps which it has to perform to complete a task.  This
could mean manually guiding its actuators, but the most practical way
to do this is via teleoperation.  So, after a a few supervised
examples the robot is able to perform the same task autonomously,
abstracting out variations in human performance.  This type of
training already goes on for industrial applications.  Seegrid have a
technology which they call "walk through then work".  Within the next
ten years or so I think what we're going to see is this type of
automation gradually moving into the consumer realm due to the falling
price/performance ratio.  This doesn't necessarily mean AGI in your
home, but it does mean a lot of things will change.

The idea that robotics is only about software is fiction.  Good
automation involves cooperation between software, electrical and
mechanical engineers.  In some cases problems are much better solved
electromechanically than by software.  For example, no matter how
smart the software controlling it, a two fingered gripper will only be
able to deal with a limited sub-set of manipulation tasks.  Likewise a
great deal of computation can be avoided by introducing variable
compliance, and making clever use of materials to juggle energy around
the system (biological creatures use these tricks all the time).  Some
aspects of the problem are within the realm of pure software, such as
visual perception, navigation and mapping.  Also, the idea that you
can suspend real world testing until the end of the project is a
recipe for disaster, unless your environment simulators are highly
realistic, which at present involves substantial computing power.

For more intelligent types of learning by imitation you really have to
get into the business of mirror neurons, and ideas of selfhood.  This
means having the robot learn its own dynamics and being able to find
mappings between these and the dynamics of objects which it observes.
However, this can only be achieved if good perception systems are
already developed and working.