Bob Mottram wrote:
On 10/02/2008, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It seems we have different ideas about what AGI is.  It is not a product that
you can make and sell.  It is a service that will evolve from the desire to
automate human labor, currently valued at $66 trillion per year.

Yes.  I think the best way to think about the sort of robotics that we
can reasonably expect to see in the near future is as physical
artifacts which provide a service.  Most robotics intelligence will be
provided as remotely hosted services, because this means that you can
build the physical machine very cheaply with minimal hardware onboard,
and also to a large extent make it future-proof.
I can see this for managing the download/installation of capabilities with periodic feedback of experience. It is less likely that centralized systems would effectively teleoperate large numbers of remote robots. The bandwidth and complexity would go up rapidly.
  It also enables the
kinds of "collective subconscious" which Ben has talked about in the
context of Second Life agents.  As more computational intelligence
comes online a dumb robot just subscribes to the new service (at a
cost to the user, of course)
What for? It may be part of the selling point of general robotics that your unit gains abilities at no additional charge over time.
and with no hardware changes it's
suddenly smarter and able to do more stuff.
Ugly things like Sarbannes-Oxley accounting rules could come into play limiting what sorts of mods are allowed or how they are priced.
- samantha