Josh,

I talked with Sam Adams at AGI 2008, and as always Sam was saying some
interesting stuff including that his Joshua blue approach was very involved
with feedback loops.  He said it is traditional to try to avoid too many
simultaneous feedback loops because people always think having multiple
simultaneous feedback loops tend to lead to chaotic systems, but he had
found, if you do the engineering correctly, and he emphasized he was an
engineer, having millions of feedback loops actually adds to stability
because the larger number tends to add more statistical evenness to the
feedback, and it makes things less jerky.  So he claimed he was confident
threats of chaos preventing AGI were baseless (are you reading this R.L.).

So at least one AGI researcher is very interested in feedback loops.

With regard to the green circle labeled "conscious spotlight" being "a
miracle" I don't think is hard to imagine how a theater of mind type of
consciousness in might works.

With regard to the secret sauce of getting all the bottom-up, top-down, and
latter implication and constraints to work together well and efficiently in
a large system --- this strikes me as one of the major challenges, and its
one I am not personally trained to speak about knowledgeably.  In my
original thread in this paper when I talked about the challenge of getting
an AGI to all to work together well automatically, this was one of the
challenges I had in mind. But I view that more as experimental and
engineering problem than a conceptual one.

Ed Porter