how I presume a Novamente system would work

I think that we all need to be more careful about our presumptions/assumptions. I think that many important comceptual pieces are glossed over and lost this way.

Novamente currently has absolutely no sign of and/or detailed plans for *numerous* critical conceptual pieces. They have an awesome low-level discovery architecture but currently have nothing that demonstarates the ability to modularize, scale, or even analogize. I fully expect someone else to leapfrog Novamente which seems to be perpetually stuck at the lowest levels.

But until we actually try building systems like Novamenti or larger versions of Joscha Bach's MicroPsi architecture we won't know for sure exactly how complex getting the bottom-up, top-down, and lateral implications and constraints to all work together well will be.

Thank you.  My point precisely.

I'm hoping and expecting it will just be a quite complicated AI engineering task, made much easier by cheap hardware which will make search the space of possible solutions much cheaper and faster --- but it might become a full blown major conceptual piece.

I'm not so sanguine. I fully expect that this will be several major conceptual pieces that we don't even know how to START on yet.