Vladimir,

On 4/24/08, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Steve Richfield
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Of course, some situations are more prone to superstitious learning than
> > others. Religious explanations are a beautiful example of this - where
> > everything that defies present explanation is simply credited to God. How
> > are you going to keep your future AGI from becoming a religious zealot?
> >

> How do I keep myself from becoming a Napoleon?

So, what's wrong with that?!

It doesn't follow. Get
> some background in philosophy of science from Bayesian perspective on
> theories - and 'superstitiousness' of learning will be sorted out.

LOL! That line of thought sunk a ~decade of efforts on the Russian
translator. There is the "rub":

Bayesian approaches teach that everything is in the probabilities, and that
if you properly compute the probabilities that hopefully when everything
comes together at the end, that you will have probabilities that are very
near 0 or 1 that result.

However, when you compute what fraction of one bit that those probabilities
represent, you find that the information drops VERY fast with the loss of
just a few percentage points.

I agree with you that you can't just consider something to be "true" or
"false" based on a few observations, but you DO have to make binary
decisions based on whatever it is that you do know. Those decisions may
reflect an underlying "belief" that isn't truly held, but who cares what the
neurons/transistors are doing when all externally observable evidence is
that they DO hold sometimes superstitious "beliefs".

 When applied to making decisions as to semantic intent, the Russian
translator still made enough errors that the results were unusable despite
being ~95% correct. My take on this was that no one on their team had ever
seen a GOOD translation, where the translation notes are typically several
times the length of the translation itself. Unannotated translations are
cute, but very nearly worthless unless you are just looking for the bathroom
or ordering breakfast - things that if wrong are easily corrected.

I was once in Saudi Arabia and had occation to talk with the member of the
"Metawa", their religious police and Ministry of Religion (yes, they do have
such a ministry), who was in charge of converting visiting Christians. Their
primary approach was to dig into whether they truly 100.0000...% BELIEVED
all of the stuff they read in the Bible. Of course not - people are Beyesian
too. The Metawa would then present their own version of whatever it was that
wasn't perfectly believed, in the hopes that the Muslim version would be
more perfectly acceptable. In short - it was a battle of models, and any
open-minded and objective evaluation, setting politics and religious belief
aside, that Islam is a MUCH less bad (notice that I didn't say "better") way
to run a society than is Christianity, as ~98% of children live with both of
their parents, etc. In short, people who are willing to accept religious
models and are looking for the best religious model have some really good
ones from which to choose.

Also, I fail to see how Beyesian approaches will disfavor religious beliefs,
as religious beliefs are absolutely perfect explainers, and hence will
"float to the top" of probabilities once you roll in observation errors that
will reduce all other probabilities.

Steve Richfield