To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] Ideological Interactions Need to be Studied

On Jun 1, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Mark Waser wrote:
I find it very interesting that you can't even answer a straight yes-
or-no question without resorting to obscuring BS and inventing  strawmen.

By "obscuring BS and inventing strawmen" I assume you mean answers  that
do not fit into your narrow conceptual framework.

Are you actually claiming that neurotransmitter levels are  irrelevant or
are you implementing them?

Neurotransmitter levels are irrelevant. The function may or may not  be,
and the function would be directly implemented in the former case.

Are you claiming that leakage along the axons and dendrites is
irrelevant or are you modeling it?

Axon and dendrite leakage is irrelevant.  The function may or may not  be,
and the function would be directly implemented in the former case.

Two simple questions.  Two choices for each.  Try answering them  without
the obscuring BS.

What is it with you and the false dichotomies?

What you fail to state is the reason I would implement any particular
characteristic of wetware neurons; what function is being gained by  doing
so?  Hint: if I can implement it in code I can pretty trivially  ascertain
its function by analysis.  This is the whole "cargo cult AI"  thing I was
talking about. You insist it is valuable to add  objectively functionless
features, and you have hard time explaining  what features are supposedly
missing if we *don't* implement things  that lack functionality. Sounds
like a waste of time to me, unless you  think these features do something
magical.

Step back a second and justify adding gee-gaws to the models first.   For
the neural characteristics that have a function, we don't need to  copy
them -- we can implement the functionality directly. Algorithmic
equivalence and all that.

J. Andrew Rogers