Josh,

On 6/3/08, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Strongly disagree. Computational neuroscience is moving as fast as any
> field
> of science has ever moved.

Perhaps you are seeing something that I am not. There are ~200 different
types of "neurons", but no one seems to understand what the ~200 different
things are that they have to do. Sure some simple nets are working, but I
just don't see the expected "leap" from this.

Computer hardware is improving as fast as any
> field of technology has ever improved.

We have already discussed here how architecture (of commercially available
processors) has been in a state of arrested development for ~35 years, with
~10000:1 in performance just waiting to be collected.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if neuron-level simulation were necessary to
> get human-level intelligence.

So would I. My point was that some additional understanding, a wiring
diagram, etc., would go a LONG way to getting over some of the "humps" that
doubtless lie ahead. The history of AI is littered with those who have
underestimated the problems.

With reasonable algorithmic optimization, and a
> few tricks our hardware can do the brain can't (e.g. store sensory
> experience
> verbatim and review it as often as necessary into learning algorithms) we
> should be able to knock 3 orders of magnitude or so off the pure-neuro HEPP
> estimate -- which puts us at ten high-end graphics cards, e.g. less than
> the
> price of a car.  (or just wait till 2015 and get one high-end PC).

The point of agreement with BOTH of our various estimates is that computer
horsepower is NOT a barrier.

Figuring out the algorithms is the ONLY thing standing between us and AI.

Back to those ~200 different types of neurons. There are probably some cute
tricks buried down in their operation, and you probably need to figure out
substantially all ~200 of those tricks to achieve human intelligence. If I
were an investor, this would sure sound pretty scary to me without SOME sort
of "insurance" like scanning capability, and maybe some simulations.

Steve Richfield