From: Abram Demski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 2:29 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: FW: [agi] WHAT PORTION OF CORTICAL PROCESSES ARE BOUND BY "THE
BINDING PROBLEM"?

Ed Porter wrote:

"I am I correct that you are implying the distinction is independent
of direction, but instead is something like this: forward chaining
infers from information you have to implications you don't yet have,
and backward chaining infers from patterns you are interested in to
ones that might either imply or negate them, or which they themselves
might imply or negate."

"BY READING BOTH THE WIKIPEDIA ENTRIES FOR FORWARD AND BACKWARD
CHAINING AND READING ABRAM DEMSKI'S LAST POST, IT SEEMS THAT ONE OF
THE DISTINCTIONS COMMONLY GIVEN BETWEEN FORWARD AND BACKWARD CHAINING,
IS WHETHER ONE IS REASONING FROM DATA (IN THE CASE OF FORWARD
CHAINING) OR FROM GOALS OR HYPOTHESES (IN THE CASE OF BACKWARD
CHAINING)."

As I understand it, this is the proper definition. The reason it is
typically stated in terms of direction of inference over if/then
statements is because that is how it is implemented in rule-based
systems. However, reasoning from goals vs reasoning from data is the
more general definition.

Ed Porter also wrote:

"For example, evidence may be derived from sensation, memory,
cognition or other means that a certain high level pattern should
exist in roughly a certain time and place, and the top down levels
implication of what is should expect to see could be considered
forward chaining, but is could also be considered backward chaining."

Perhaps there is some real ambiguity here, arising from the
probabilistic setting. If the network is passing down an expectation
based on other data, informing the lower network of what to expect,
then this is forward chaining. But if the signal is not an
expectation, but more like a query "pay attention to data that might
conform/contradict this hypothesis, and notify me ASAP" then it is
backwards chaining. And it seems realistic that it can be both of
these.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> With regard to your comments below, I don't think you have to be too
> imaginative to think of how the direction of forward or backward chaining
> across at least certain sets of rules could be reversed.  Abram Demski's
> recent post gave an example of how both what he considers forward and
> backward chaining can be performed in both directions across an inference
> pattern.
>
> Plus, it should be noted that I never said all relationships involve a
> before and after type of relationship.  In fact, I specifically said some
> relationships involve simultaneity.  I do however think temporal
> relationships are an important think to keep track of in inference,
because
> they are such and important part of reality, and predicting what is likely
> to come next is such an important part of such reasoning, and reasoning
> backward in imagined time from goals is such an important part of
planning.

> BY READING BOTH THE WIKIPEDIA ENTRIES FOR FORWARD AND BACKWARD CHAINING
AND
> READING ABRAM DEMSKI'S LAST POST, IT SEEMS THAT ONE OF THE DISTINCTIONS
> COMMONLY GIVEN BETWEEN FORWARD AND BACKWARD CHAINING, IS WHETHER ONE IS
> REASONING FROM DATA (IN THE CASE OF FORWARD CHAINING) OR FROM GOALS OR
> HYPOTHESES (IN THE CASE OF BACKWARD CHAINING).
>
> According to this definition the distinction between forward and backward
> chaining is not about direction the inference travels though an inference
> network --- because as Abram show each can travel in both directions ---
but
> rather the purpose for which the inference is being performed.  According
> this definition, both bottom up and top down inference could each in
certain
> cases be considered both forward and backward chaining.
>
> This definition is probably more meaningful in an AGI context than having
> the direction depend on which is the if clause and which is the then
clause,
> because in an AGI many of the rules would have been learned automatically
> from correlations and there is often no reason to decide which of the
> patterns that implies the other is the if clause pattern and which is the
> then clause pattern.
>
> But this definition of the distinction as depending on whether one is
> reasoning from data on one hand or goal and hypotheses on the other, is
> confused by the fact that both Wikipedia articles implying forward
chaining
> is from if clause to then clause, and the reverse for backward chaining.
>
> It is also confused by the fact that in AGIs the distinction between data,
> evidence, probability, attention, and hypothesis are not always clear.
For
> example, bottom-up feed forward inference from sensory input is often
> considered to create perception hypotheses up the perception pathway, and
> implication could be considered to be proceeding in a forward chaining way
> from such each of such hypothesis.
>
> For example, evidence may be derived from sensation, memory, cognition or
> other means that a certain high level pattern should exist in roughly a
> certain time and place, and the top down levels implication of what is
> should expect to see could be considered forward chaining, but is could
also
> be considered backward chaining.
>
> So I still find even this definition of forward and backward chaining
would
> be less than totally clear when applied in many possible situations in an
> AGI.  But many definitions that are used every day are less than totally
> clear.
>
> Richard, you said below "If I had a penny for every time you have accused
me
> of being wrong, when later discussion showed that I was quite correct, I'd
> have enough money to build an AGI tomorrow."
>
> Yea, Richard, an AGI about about as powerful as the typical Phantom
Decoder