To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:40 AM
Subject: **SPAM** RE: FW: [agi] WHAT PORTION OF CORTICAL PROCESSES ARE BOUND BY "THE BINDING PROBLEM"?

Mark,

Since your attack on my statement below is based on nothing but conclusory
statements and contains neither reasoning or evidence to support them, there
is little in your below email to respond to other than your personal spleen.

You have said my statement which your email quotes is "simply incorrect"
without giving any justification.

Your statement that "Temporal criteria are *NOT* relevant to forward and
backward chaining" is itself a conclusory statement.

Furthermore this statement about temporal criteria not being relevant is
more incorrect than correct.  If an if-then rule describes a situation where
one thing causes another, or comes before it time, the thing that comes
first is more commonly the if clause (although one can write the rule in the
reverse order).  The if clause is commonly called a condition, and the then
clause is sometimes called the consequence, implying a causal or temporal
relationship.  The notion of reasoning backward from a goal being backward
chaining, normally involves the notion of reasoning back in imagined time
from a desired goal state.  So often TEMPORAL CRITERIA *ARE* RELEVANT TO
WHICH DIRECTION IS FORWARD CHAINING AND WHICH IS BACKWARD.

Even if one were to make a reach, and try to justify your statement that
"Temporal criteria are *NOT* relevant to forward and backward chaining" as
being more than just conclusory by suggesting it was an implicit reference
to statements --- like that contained Richard's prior statements in this
thread or the Wikipedia quote in one of the posts below --- that the
definition of forward and backward chaining depended on whether the
reasoning was from if clause to then clause, or the reverse --- that would
still not correct the groundlessness of your criticism.

This is because the rule that forward chaining is from if clause to then
clause and the reverse for backward chaining has no applicability to
situations where the implication goes both ways and there is no clear
indication of which pattern should be the if clause and which should be the
then clause --- which is precisely the situation I was describing in the
quote from me you unfairly criticized.

Neither Richard's prior statement in this thread nor the Wikipedia
definition below define which direction is forward and which is backward in
many such situations.

In my quote which you attacked I was discussing exactly this situations when
it was not clear which part of an inference pattern should be considered the
if clause and which the then clause.  So it appears your criticism either
totally missed, or for other reasons, failed to deal with the issue I was
discussing.

Mark, in general I do not read your posts because, among other things, like
your email below, they are generally poorly reasoned and seemed more
concerned with issues of ego and personality than with learning and teaching
truthful information or insights.  I skip many of Richard's for the same
reason, but I do read some of Richard's because despite all his pompous BS
he does occasionally say something quite thoughtful and worth while.

If you care about improving your reputation on this list, it would make you
seem more like someone who cared about truth and reason, and less like
someone who cared more about petty squabbles and personal ego, if you gave
reasons for your criticisms, and if you took the time to ensure your
criticism actually addressed what you are criticizing.

In your post immediately below you did neither.

Ed Porter