Mike Tintner wrote:
A tangential comment here. Looking at this and other related threads I can't help thinking: jeez, here are you guys still endlessly arguing about the simplest of syllogisms, seemingly unable to progress beyond them. (Don't you ever have that feeling?) My impression is that the fault lies with logic itself - as soon as you start to apply logic to the real world, even only tangentially with talk of "forward" and "backward" or "temporal" considerations, you fall into a quagmire of ambiguity, and no one is really sure what they are talking about. Even the simplest if p then q logical proposition is actually infinitely ambiguous. No? (Is there a Godel's Theorem of logic?)

Well, now you have me in a cleft stick, methinks.

I *hate* logic as a way to understand cognition, because I think it is a derivative process within a high-functional AGI system, not a foundation process that sits underneath everything else.

But, on the other hand, I do understand how it works, and it seems a shame for someone to trample on the concept of forward and backward chaining when these are really quite clear and simple processes (at least conceptually).

You are right that logic is as clear as mud outside the pristine conceptual palace within which it was conceived, but if you're gonna hang out inside the palace it is a bit of a shame to question its elegance...

Richard Loosemore