On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2008/8/23 Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Valentina Poletti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I was wondering why no-one had brought up the information-theoretic aspect
>>> of this yet.
>>
>> It has been studied. For example, Hutter proved that the optimal strategy of
>> a rational goal seeking agent in an unknown computable environment is AIXI:
>> to guess that the environment is simulated by the shortest program
>> consistent with observation so far [1].
>
> By my understanding, I would qualify this as "Hutter proved that the
> *one of the* optimal strategies of a rational error-free goal seeking
> agent, which has no impact on the environment beyond its explicit
> output, in an unknown computable environment is AIXI: to guess that
> the environment is simulated by the shortest program consistent with
> observation so far"
>  Will Pearson

I think the question of the mathematics or quasi mathematics of
algorithmic theory would be better studied using a more general
machine intelligence kind of approach.  The Hutter Solomonoff approach
of Algorithmic Information Theory looks to me like it is too narrow
and lacking a fundamental ground against which theories can be tested
but I don't know for sure because I could never find a sound basis to
use to study the theory.

I just found a Ray Solomonoff's web site and he has a couple of links
to lectures on it.
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/ray.html

Jim Bromer