Mike,

I agree with Brad somewhat, because I do not think copying human (or
animal) intellect is the goal. It is a means to the end of general
intelligence.

However, that certainly doesn't stop me from participating in a
thought experiment.

I think the big thing with artificial play is figuring out a good
goal-creation scheme. My definition of "play" directly follows from
this intuition: play is activity that results from a system that is
rapidly changing its goals. In other words, play is behavior that is
goal-oriented, but barely.

The definition should probably be somewhat more specific-- when
playing, people and animals don't just adopt totally arbitrary goals;
we seem to prefer "interesting" goals. This is because there is a
hidden biological agenda-- learning. But, learning is not *our* goal.
Out goal is whatever arbitrary goal we have adopted for the purpose of
play.

One system I know of does something like this-- the "PURR-PUSS"
system. Its rule is simple: if an unexpected event happens once, then
the system will adopt the goal of trying to get it to happen again, by
recreating the circumstances that led to it the first time. In
carrying out the attempt, it should be able to greatly refine its
concept of "the circumstances that led to it"-- because many of its
attempts to recreate the event will probably fail. Many of these
curiosity-based goals may be active at once. Since this is the
system's only motivational factor, it could be called an artificial
playing system (at least by my definition).

-Abram