Jonathan El-Bizri wrote:

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Terren Suydam <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    If an AGI played because it recognized that it would improve its
    skills in some domain, then I wouldn't call that play, I'd call it
    practice. Those are overlapping but distinct concepts.

The evolution of play is how nature has convinced us to practice skills of a general but un-predefinable type. Would it make sense to think of practice as the narrow AI version of play?
No. Because in practice one is honing skills with a definite chosen purpose (and usually no instinctive guide), whereas in play one is honing skills without the knowledge that one is doing so. It's very different, e.g., to play a game of chess, and to practice playing chess.

Part ...

Jonathan El-Bizri